If the thought of being able to breathe a clean smell in and touch a bin without worrying about what bacteria is on your hands isn’t enough reasoning for you, here are 5 additional reasons why you should keep your trash bins sanitized:
1. Keep Dirty Rodents Away – Animals are often attracted to food found in trash cans. Rodents such as rats or mice, raccoons and opossums can often be found rummaging through trash bins if they are not closed properly – and sometime even when they are. They are attracted by the smells and remnants of past bags of trash. These harmful rodents carry Hantavirus, Lymphocytic Choriomenigitis, and Roundworm. Keeping your trash bins cleaned regularly will keep the potential for risk of infection to a minimum.
2. Eliminate Harmful Bacteria – Discarding uneaten and moldy food, used diapers and other rotting trash can infect your bin with germs and diseases, such as Salmonella, Listeria, and E-Coli. Sanitizing your trash cans will kill these germs, and help keep you and your family safe.
3. Eliminate Odor – With all rotting, stinky garbage we throw out, it is no wonder that we to plug our noses every time we take out the trash to avoid being nauseated by the disgusting odors. Garbage bags don’t protect your trash bins. Liquids leak through the smallest of openings and getting into the pores of the trash making the can smell even worse when it is empty. Especially if it is a hot, summer day and the odor has opportunity to rot some more – yuck! Cleaning your trash can regularly can get rid of this odor entirely.
4. Get Rid of Maggots – Everyone know flies are attracted to garbage, and have been found to lay their eggs in “moist, organic material”, precisely what is in your garbage can. You don’t need more flies buzzing around your heads. Also, it can be even more repulsive to find maggots crawling through your rubbish. Keeping your trash bins odor free will keep flies and maggots away.
5. Curb Appeal – By keeping your trash bins clean and sanitary, it’s not as much of a chore to take the trash out. You won’t be nauseated by the touch or smell, you won’t worry about coming into contact with harmful diseases or bacteria, or encountering unwanted creatures. Clean bins will give you an easy chore while also giving your house and property a sense of curb appeal, as the bins will be a great deal more aesthetically pleasing than how they were before!